Thursday 18 February 2010

Sinuhet, the Egyptian


So, just to show that I´m only a complete fashion freak, I´ve decided to make this Must-Read column here. That means I´m going to write about books which I´ve read and which I´d like to recommend to you guys (because believe it or not, there ARE some books in this world, which are absolutely NOT worth reading : ) ).

Ok I will start out with the latest book I´ve read: Sinuhet, the Egyptian, written my Mika Waltari.
Since I study the IB programme and I have Czech as my mother tongue (self – taught), I choose this book because it´s so famous in CZ and also because I actually have it at home.

The book is long, I won´t lie to you. And it gets boring at the end, but it is the kind of a book, where you just can´t stop reading...
This book is about a man (doctor), Sinuhet, who lives in ancient Egypt. He describes his life, from the first day he remembers till “now”. I can´t write about all the stuff that happens to him, because he really goes through a lot, but it´s really interesting to read, and some parts are really breath-taking.
The interesting thing about this book is that it was partly based on a true story, and therefore is extremely interesting if you´re an ancient Egypt freak (which I´m not, but it was interesting anyways).

Sometimes, you may wonder about the weird thoughts and action he has/takes. Some of them are very funny (e.g. his and others view points on sex and sexuality, the female body ideal), but some of them are like: “Omg, noo... He just didn´t say that, did he?”

I loved this book, because it is so true, and the things he´s saying, still works for today (you can see how little the society has changed). Also, Sinuhet became my top first person to quote when I write my speeches.

So when you´re bored, it´s winter and you want to enjoy a good book then read this one.

- 8 out of 10 stars -

- Oreeille

1 comment:

  1. Great, maybe i'll read it. I want to read it about half a year ago, but they hadn't it in the library and after I forget for it. :D
    But now I¨m gonna to library and look if they have it and maybe borrow it. :D

    ReplyDelete